Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Birth - 6 years old

I was born in San Diego, CA to Mary and Jim Macagno. They married 6 years before I was born at St. Pius Catholic church in Chula Vista. They had difficulty getting pregnant. They called me their miracle baby. My mother came from a large, Catholic family. She was one of eight children, which meant I had lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. My  father was one of two children. His younger brother was mentally disabled. Most of my extended family lived in San Diego. When I was born, my parents lived in Imperial Beach, in a duplex. The other side of the duplex was rented by my aunt, uncle and cousin, Claire, who remains my best friend! My parents belonged to a Baptist church when I was born. They called it 5th and E Baptist, because it was on the corner of 5th street and E street in Chula Vista. I went to sunday school there, along with a few of my cousins. Memories that stand out during this time of my life are family gatherings at the beach, thanksgiving at my grandparents house (my mom's parents), and my uncles playing Risk at my house. Going to visit my dad's parents was a special treat. My brother, sister, and I were their only grandchildren, and they always had treats for us. My grandpa would give us candy and fresh fruit from his own trees. Our favorite was the lemons. From age 3 - 6 we lived in a mobile home park. My brother was born when I was 3, and my sister was born when I was 5. The night my sister was born, my grandfather (mom's dad) came over to stay with my brother and I while my parents were at the hospital. I woke up to see him sitting on our floor watching tv. He told me that my mom and dad were having my sister, and to go back to bed. I had a special connection to my grandfather. I loved sitting on his lap. He always made me feel so loved. I had friends in our neighborhood. Most of them did not come from Christian homes. I remember going to the bathroom at my friend, Melissa's house, and finding a stack of Playboys. I was curious about sex after that. More on that later. My parents seemed to have a good relationship to me. I remember when I was 5, they went outside to kiss, and me and my friends, who were over for a slumber party, caught them, and giggled. My dad worked as a bus driver, and he would bring home things that people would leave on the buses. Sometimes he would give me makeup that he found so I could play dress up. I can remember my mom letting me go through her purse, and telling me that any change I found at the bottom, I could have! In the summer time the ice cream truck with drive right by our trailer, and we often were able to get some ice cream, or candy from it. When my sister was born, I liked to hold her. My kindergarten was next to our trailer park, and when I was at recess, I could see my mom, brother, and sister in the front yard. I really liked school, and when I would come home, I'd set up all of my stuffed animals and teach them what I had learned that day. Another memory is that of our nieghbors. It was my first experience with death. Two men lived in the trailer. They were gay, but I didn't know that at the time. One of them was really sick. They didn't know what kind of disease he had, but I think it was AIDS. He died in his sleep. Another memory is of playing in an alley that was lined with vines. I was with some boys from across the street, and they started a fire in the alley. We all ran away back home. I was scared for us. When I was 6, I was baptized at St. Pius Catholic church, along with my brother and sister. I guess my parents decided to be Catholic after years of being Baptists. My memories during this time are scattered, and I don't have many of them, as with most people. I remember feeling safe, and happy. We lived in the same city as both sets of grandparents, many aunts and uncles, and plenty of cousins to play with. Although I don't remember specifics about church, I knew about Jesus, and I knew God existed. But being a kid was my first duty, and I enjoyed it!

No comments: